ATX Community

Long Tern Care

TAXMAN

Any body in the insurance busines. I cannot answer TP's question. TP is 83 years young already in a nursing home with reasonably good health. Wants to buy Long term Care policy. Insurance people can you give me heads up on this. Someone at NH told him he should get this. Thanks

Taxman,

I am no longer a licensed insurance agent, but things have not changed a lot for the better.    

Confirm - in a nursing home --- if so, then it is like taking the horse out of the barn -   after the fire ---- nobody will write.

If in an assisted living facility -- there may be hope -- BUT -- most providers will be cost prohibitive and may make a requirement that there is a two (2) year graduated wait until benefits for a nursing might be paid.

For the most part --- if they have "problems" that require nursing home care (need/require ADL's  - aid to daily living of a certain number)--- generally they will be dis-allowed by the long term care community (insurance wise).