ATX Community

Workflow

Bart

We are trying to go somewhat paperless.  I am wondering how you track workflow.  Before we tracked it with the physical file.  Hand the file to the preparer with the source documents and they would work on it.  The preparer would give the file back to the responsible partner who would contact the client with questions.  When the answers were received the partner would give the file back to the preparer.

Now we are scanning all source documents and putting them in the clients folder in the document manager. How do you let all preparers know the return is ready to be worked on?  Once someone starts working on the return how do you let all other preparers know so they will leave it alone?  When the partner receives answers to questions how does that partner let the preparer know they have answers?  How does the preparer let the partner know the return is done and ready for review? 

We use custom fields in ATX. I've attached our current ATX2014 screenshots; the first is the Returns tab, and the second is the Accounts Receivable tab. I've removed the client and preparer info for privacy.

Since all our PCs run the server/workstation version, everybody sees the same stuff (with differing permissions due to login), and everyone's PC was setup with the same custom fields.

For the Client# field, we use the preparer initials and the year the return was prepared. We use that for previous years to keep track of which tax years are filed in which client appointment, drop-off or walk-in.

So you can see how fairly simple this is, assuming people just do what they're told and do it consistently. Our preparers have to learn a few keywords for status and location and billing condition.

post-2035-0-25232000-1421973521_thumb.gi

post-2035-0-74222000-1421973530_thumb.gi

Our office is fairly paperless, but not when the return is in progress.  We keep the client docs with the return until it is completed, then scan them and give them all back to the client when the return is picked up.  This way you can mark right on the document that each number has been double checked, or put a sticky that this particular doc hasn't been entered yet because you need further info or to do more research.

We track all returns with a cover sheet (yes, a physical piece of paper).  Docs that are brought in with appointments, mailed or emailed in get attached the the sheet, which lists the client name, contact info, date received, and who is working on it.  There are lines on the bottom for the preparer to list questions, missing info, etc. There are also places to put the fee, method of payment, whether 8879 has been signed, whether 8453 has to be mailed, that the return has been placed in our electronic file cabinet, that it has been efiled, whatever.  When efile has been accepted, the sheet is scanned and shredded.  The sheet is essentially our record of everything and serves as a tracking system.

The sheet is filled out for every client.  If it's an appt at your desk and you finish the return on the spot, it goes into the "efile" tray, then the "awaiting acceptance" box, then to the scanner and shredder.  No way to forget any of these steps because that piece of paper is somewhere in the line.  For drop-offs and mailed in returns, the sheet goes on top of the client docs.  In my office the whole thing then goes into my in box.  If I get to work on them and find I'm missing info, I contact the client and put everything into my "need info" box.  When done, I give everything back to the client and put the sheet into the "efile" tray, or into the "wait" tray (need sigs or payment).

I'm making it sound more complicated than it is.  Basically, in my private office I have an in box and and "waiting for info" box.  The office manager has a "ready to efile" box, a "hold" box because we need sigs or money (or just want the client to have a few days to think it over), and a third box for efiled returns awaiting ACKs.  The routing sheet makes all these rounds.  Once efile is accepted, the sheet goes to the "scan" box in the receptionist's office, then into the shredder.

You can see everyone's workflow just by looking at the size of the in box or need info box.  Both are always overflowing!

• Like 2

Our cover sheet per Sara's solution is actually a ledger-sized print (11x17) which is printed on both sides, and then folded in half to make a folder. We used slightly thicker paper than 20# bond. The outside of this cover is all the stuff the client fills out; largely it's based on the IRS Form 13614-C, "Intake/Interview & Quality Review Sheet". We dupe'd the data and adjusted it for our additions and terms&conditions. On the inside of the cover, is all the internal crap that we keep track of, and which we don't want the client to see or be bothered with. So the client fills out the cover's front and back, and hands it back to us when we start preparing.