ATX Community

OK...here we go again...Time for a refresher

Janitor Bob

Unmarried clients live together with their child for all of 2014. Mom wants to claim dependency exemption and CTC and have dad claim child for EIC purpose  Financially, this is more advantageous...but is it allowed?  Can the unmarried parents choose who gets dependency/CTC and EIC?

Every year, I refresh myself on this, but every year, I doubt myself.

Is this what you are looking for?   (page 31 Pub-17)

Sometimes, a child meets the relationship, age, residency, support, and joint return tests to be a qualifying child of more than one person. Al-though the child is a qualifying child of each of these persons, only one person can actually treat the child as a qualifying child to take all of the following tax benefits (provided the person is eligible for each benefit).

The exemption for the child.

The child tax credit.

Head of household filing status.

The credit for child and dependent care expenses.

The exclusion from income for dependent care benefits.

The earned income credit.

The other person cannot take any of these benefits based on this qualifying child. In other words, you and the other person cannot agree to divide these benefits between you. The other person cannot take any of these tax benefits for a child unless he or she has a different qualify-ing child.

Tiebreaker rules. To determine