ATX Community

Dreaded E-file Reject...what to do?

Janitor Bob

The phone number to call is 1-800-908-4490, Ext 245.  The taxpayer should file the 14039 with the paper return and call the number as well to report the incident.  If they end up having to wait too long on the phone, I would tell them to maybe wait till after April 15th and try again.  It's not major critical to report it right away because they aren't going to do anything about it right now anyway.  But the tp should at least call the number after 6 weeks or so and check on the status.  Oh, and btw, it's best to send the 14039 and paper return CERTIFIED.  That way you can prove they got it.

• Like 1

Unfortunately one of my clients got rejected today with this dreaded reject. This client is not due a refund but has a balance due that she may have already paid. I wonder how many more times this is going to happen to people. Heck it could happen to any one of us at any time.

Edited by Terry D
  • Like 2

We've had five in our office so far this season. Clients not only have to file the 14039, but a police report, call the FTC, freeze their credit. Try filing the state by itself; if it too rejects they have to call the state and do whatever they tell them. It's a lot of work for the victims (and for you with all the paperwork and advice). Luckily your client wasn't one of those waiting for a big fat refund they already spent.