ATX Community

Pass thru rental 'passive'?

Randall

Client is co-owner of rental on 1040 Sch E.  Client also has LLC with rental activity (2 member LLC).  Sch E rental shows loss but not deductible (8582) because of income level.  LLC K-1 has rental income.  I am preparing both the LLC return and the 1040.  On the 1040 K-1 input, can I check both the 'active participating in rental' box and the 'passive activity' box?  If I don't check 'passive activity', the LLC rental income won't offset the Sch E rental loss and the LLC income will carry to 1040 page one, while his Sch E loss is suspended.  I was of the understanding that rental activity is considered passive (unless re pro).

Yes. You can check both boxes, Active Participation & Passive Activity.

From Pub 527

Active participation.   You actively participated in a rental real estate activity if you (and your spouse) owned at least 10% of the rental property and you made management decisions or arranged for others to provide services (such as repairs) in a significant and bona fide sense. Management decisions that may count as active participation include approving new tenants, deciding on rental terms, approving expenditures, and other similar decisions.