ATX Community

1099-LTC in ATX

Margaret CPA in OH

A deceased client has received a 1099-LTC with Box 1 amount of $10,000+. The form says that if the payments are on a per diem basis, the amount excluded is limited. The box "Reimbursed amount" is checked so I am assuming that there were corresponding expenses paid and that these payments are not taxable as under an insurance policy. There doesn't seem to be an input form for 1099-LTC; should there be? Should this just be reported under Sch A medical? The deceased otherwise has no Sch A items.

This is my first but I suspect there will be many more in the next several years. I just wish I could afford it!

Thanks so much. I had no idea. Now the executor will have to do some research to get the data for this. All he provided was the 1099.

By the way, on the 2006 return for the deceased (he died before it was filed), the POA was listed sort of in the place of the spouse. It was just on a label, not in a software produced form. I'm thinking that might be ok for a paper filed return but would look funny. What do you folks do?