ATX Community

Is Sam's Club our competitor ?

Lee B

Copied from Accounting Today:

Sam’s Club, the membership warehouse club owned by Wal-Mart, is teaming up with a New York City-based accounting firm known as 1-800Accountant to offer accounting and tax services that can be accessed via mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.

I think people are becoming way too addicted to their smartphones, mindlessly treating them as a tool that can handle absolutely everything.  With all the apps available, they probably can--but does anyone ever think if they SHOULD do everything with it?

It's a little gadget...you can lose it, leave it at the restaurant, have it stolen off your desk.  I would never put any financial or sensitive data into my phone for this reason. And if huge, presumably very secure systems (Anthem, anyone?) can be hacked, think what crooks can do with the wireless transmission of your data, or what they will find if they steal your phone and have at it.  Sure you can disable the phone, but only after you realize it's gone...an hour or two is twice the time they need to copy the memory.

And just think of the inconvenience of trying to enter your tax return info into a tiny screen.  The IRS even has an app for tax prep--wonder how popular it is.

Eventually people are going to have to wake up about the dangers of smartphones. It will take some major hacks and some major damage, but we all know it's coming. Just like the future of the internet. I foresee that the internet as we know it is going to be a very different thing in the not too distant future. It is too insecure, too many places are collecting details of our personal lives from it, spyware and malware are threatening us even in the safe havens of our homes. Forgive me if I pass on giving my tax info to Sam's Club.

• Like 2