ATX Community

VA TAX PREPARERS

YANKA

To all Virginia preparers, ATX is not calculating the low income credit, it does the EIC but not the low

income credit for taxpayers that do not qualified for the EIC on the Fed return, you must override the info, this mean that you must know the Poverty Guidelines for VA. Called ATX, several times and they have no idea what am I talking about, is anyone else having this problem. This is the first year that ATX makes me sick.

Thanks for any sugestion.

Yanka

Can you give me filing status, head count and income amounts? Date of births might be important too.

Thank you Pacun for helping:

head of Household, $13,500 total income, no social security number only ITIN (starts with 9), 2 children under 16, I even called VA Dept of TAxation and yes she does qualified, but I do not like to override the program, She does not qualified for EIC because of her social. Her taxes should be zero, same as last year.

Thanks a lot

Change her ITIN to a valid social security number for your test. If Low income credit is calculated with the valid social security, then the credit is NOT meant for people with ITIN.

Pacun you are wrong, for the Virginia Department of Taxation the ITIN is as good as the SSN, you DO NOT HAVE to have a SSN to qualify for the Credit that is why they have LOW INCOME CREDIT and EARNED INCOME CREDIT. VA accepts the ITIN as a legal number, I think that it is ATX the ones not knowing the difference.

Thanks for trying to help

I thought you were asking a question... I read your post slowly today and I understand what you are saying. The problem here is ONLY in VA and ONLY when ITINs or only adults are involved on the return AND there is tax liability on VA return. You are right, ITINs qualify for the low income credit and you have to do it manually. Thanks for sharing.