ATX Community

Separate or single mailings revisited

I have amended returns for client from 2012, 2013, and 2014.  They all relate to her home office and, among other things, erroneous depreciation.  She is also currently under a payment plan for ex's debt having filed jointly in earlier years. 

The net of the 3 years amended is over $3000 which would help her debt quite a bit.  We did send 2011 amended return by itself before SOL April 15 but she owed $3600 so paid but no response as yet from IRS.

When all these amended returns and 3115 are processed, I want to see about a conference call to determine where she stands.  Immediate question, though, is whether to mail 2012-2014 together with a cover letter or separately to the same address.  Typically I would send separately but am uncertain now as they are interlinked and she is on a payment plan.

Any wisdom to share would be much appreciated!

I'd send each one separately....about 3 weeks apart....so one gets posted before the next one arrives.

A few years back I sent 2 at the same time (same envelope) and there was some kind of carry-over (I forget exactly what)....and it was just too confusing for the IRS to figure out. 

• Like 2

With so many things going on with that, I would call the priority line and explain to them that you would like some guidance or a conference with an IRS person to take the returns and see that they are properly processed and posted.  If she is on a payment plan, this may require defaulting the payment plan and getting the whole thing back to collections (not automated collections, but a real person collections).  I know with the current state of the IRS, that all sound like a pipe dream, but if you and your client have the waiting time, it might work.  If that does not fly, you might want to file Form 911.  I think your problem is bigger than just deciding whether to send the returns together or separately. 

• Like 2

I'd send each one separately....about 3 weeks apart....so one gets posted before the next one arrives.. 

​This is solid advice.  Do NOT call the IRS about this situation.  In fact, even 4 weeks apart would be better.  Under NO circumstances send more than one year in an envelope.  Keep it simple for the IRS.

If she is contacted about the amount she still owes, she can tell them that amended returns are being filed, ask for time to allow all the amended returns to process, then contact them about payment on the total amount due.  Keep it simple for the IRS.

• Like 1