ATX Community

K-1 issue

mircpa

Have a client who has an S corp A with 2 shareholders, with client being one of them, total rev of 125k, net 80k, the issue here is one shareholder took his share of k1 income checks in one of his other S corp B's name, my question can i issue k1 in this S corp B's name ? My first thought is no k1 in corp's name, can somebody suggest any strategies to handle this situation.

>>Have a client who has an S corp<<

No you don't. Your client has a C-corp.

>>can i issue k1 in this S corp B's name?<<

No. You should issue a 1099-DIV.

issue a 1099-DIV ?

I think i haven't explained the situation clearly. S corp (xxx) has two shareholders, one share holder took checks as part of k1 income on another of his S corp's name (yyy).

My comment is are you saying One S Corp issued checks to another Corp (S or C really doesn't yet or maybe never), and the S Corp that issued checks are treating them as distributions to one of the S Corp stockholders.

If so I don't see a problem.

If the S Corp is treating them in a different manner, you have a problem.

The S Corp who is receiving the checks should treat them as an amopunt paid for stock or as a loan from shareholder.

>>If somebody could answer lion's question, i would get my answer too<<

Here's your answer to the question, "Can an S Corp be a shareholder in/receive K-1 income from an S Corp?"

There is nothing to prevent an S-corp from distributing profits to another S-corp. However, doing so automatically terminates S status, which is the situation described in the original post. Since it happened last year, there is no honest way to correct it now. Prepare two short year returns--one for the S-corp prior to the distribution, and one for the successor C-corp.