ATX Community

A microsoft fan describes his frustration with Windows 10

Abby Normal

Why not give yourself the best of all of your operating systems by using a multiple boot program?  I cloned my Win 7 operating system and upgraded this clone to Win 10.  I also downloaded from MS a clean install of WIN 10 and installed that as a third operating system.  All of my programs and data are kept on separate hard drives which can be accessed from any of the three operating systems.  All of my hardware and 103 out of 106 of my programs all work perfectly under WIN 10.  It took a few weeks for Soundblaster to release the WIN 10 drivers, but that was a small price top pay.   If either of the WIN 10 installations acts up,  I can just boot to WIN 7 and continue on with whatever program and data I was using.  ProSeries loaded from 1999 through 2015 with no problem and ATX also loaded from 1999 through 2012 (the year I left) without any problems.  As I said, I can open any of these programs and work on them with any of the three installed operating systems.  Of the 3 systems, my favorite is the clean install of Win 10.  It is the fastest of the three in handling all of my programs from all of the tax programs, to MS Office professional, to my Scan Snap.  The new internet browser, Edge, needs some work, but I can use IE 11 and Chrome from Win 10 and use Edge when I want to use some if its new features such as being able to highlight and mark up web pages.  I have another computer running strictly XP networked with my main computer which goes back to my 1988 Pro Series tax programs and clients (it was Chipsoft then) and back to 1992 to my first business returns with ATX Saber.

I have used this approach of dual and triple booting since Windows 95 to allow myself to be able to ease into new operating systems at my own pace and always have the "old standby" available at a moment's notice.  That way I can pick and choose what I want out of the new operating system (such as speed) and not give up anything until I am ready.

The multiple boot program I have used is a free program Easy BCD.  If you have at least two hard drives on your system, this might give you an opportunity to check out WIN 10 and not have to worry about having to "downgrade" back to WIN 7, since you will also have your complete WIN 7 installation at a moment's notice.

• Like 1