ATX Community

Do you have to take the SE Health Insurance Deduction?

KHWEBERCPA

Client is a struggling musician who barely makes over the poverty line income.  If he takes the self employed health insurance deduction, it would put him below the poverty line, and exclude him from getting premium credits.

I have tried to find anything that says you have to take the self employed health insurance deduction if it is available, and am coming up empty.  The best outcome for this client would be not to take it, and get about $2,000 in premium credits.  However, I don't want to trigger a notice.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Thanks.

Ken Weber

Vancouver, WA

Pub 974.  Not sure if this will guide you to a definitive answer, but here's a start:  Under the section for SEHI on page 50, it says (bold is mine):

• Read the Instructions for Form 8962 to find out if you meet the requirements for claiming the PTC except for the requirement that your household income be at least 100% but not more than 400% of the Federal poverty line for your family size for 2015. You will determine whether you meet the 100% – 400% requirement in the process of completing these instructions.
  • If you meet the requirements described above, do the following...