ATX Community

Educational Assistant Grant

Terry D EA

Client has an educational assistance grant and received form 1099G with 6K as taxable. I know if these funds are spent on tuition and other approved items and the list of conditions are met, the only taxable portion is the amount not spent on education. The spent over 12K on tuition to a University and received form 1098T. Also, I used the amount actually paid minus the 6K for the AOC. Ok so, OneDesk does not have a taxable grant/scholarship worksheet. There is a section where the preparer can write notes and send it electronically with the tax return. My first thought was send a spreadsheet/worksheet with form 8453. Well, the 8453 doesn't have a section for this. How would any of you report this? Is there another form I am missing? I have looked and looked and looked and can't find anything.

Only bad part of this for me is trying to explain why I can't e-file it due to a program that doesn't have the worksheet. It does have a worksheet but when I click on it I get a red warning that says it is for 1040 NR. Guaranteed I'm not using this stuff (I'm being nice and professional here) next year.

• Like 1