ATX Community

n/t just venting

ajuroff

Clients come in for appointment this year. She (only she) was here last year and filed, MFS. Last year she gave me husbands name and social security number and said they were filing separate. Back to this year......They come in together and the mess begins. He is mexican and was hard for me to understand, but I got the idea of what was going on after a lot of questions. He wants to file returns for 04,05,06 and file jointly with her this year. He gives me his "new" social security card. The name is sort of close to the name the wife gave me last year, but the social security number is completely different. He says it's his "new" social security number. Then goes on to explain that he was illegal before and that some tax preparer in another town was able to help him get his new number and she told him that he could now file his back taxes. His w-2's have the social security number that the wife gave me last year. After a little prodding, he told me that was a fake number. He also says he wants to claim his three children and mother who live in Mexico because he sends them $200 a month for support. I told him that he couldn't. He said this other preparer is helping him get social security numbers for his kids and mother in Mexico too and he wants to claim them because this preparer said he could. He said this other preparer is helping his other relatives get social security numbers for their family members too. And on and on and on. I asked him why he didn't go to this other "tax preparer" ...he said she charges too much. I told him I couldn't do their return and sent them on their way.

I still don't know if this other preparer gave him his "fake" social security number or if he just made it up. I actually know the guy who owns the company that this "prior" client works for. I know I can't call him about it. I asked the client to go back to the company and have them issue corrected w-2's with his "new" social security number and correct name. He said he couldn't do that. I wonder why??? hahaha

I know what town this "preparer" is in and it's very small. But I'm sure she is not a legit business. I would love to turn her in. Heck, I'm so mad I would love to turn this guy over to....well, I don't know, but to someone. :angry:

Just needed to vent a little....

>>I would love to turn her in.<<

You haven't described anything improper about her. They are difficult clients so it's appropriate to charge more. It's a lot of work getting immigration and work status straightened out, but it is good work and it sounds like she knows how to do it.

You don't need corrected W-2s to file those back years. $200 a month seems low but I would at least run a dependency support worksheet since the family obviously meets the relationship and residency tests.

Just in case you didn't know, the mexican was correct. If he supports his parents and children, he can claim them if they live in Mexico or Canada. When he said that the other preparer could get a social security number, I think he meant ITIN.

Also, maybe he became a permanent resident throw his wife and now his children will become permanent resident and get a social security.

The fact that he worked with a fake social security, means nothing to IRS. Since he now has a valid social, he can file all prior years. Even without a social security number he could file his taxes, claim his parents and children if he support them and he applies for an ITIN for himself and all his dependents.

For the record, $200 is a lot of money in mexico and in many latin american countries.

That's your right. You can refuse to prepare those returns.

I go with what the IRS says. If the IRS says that we can apply for ITINs, I apply for ITINs. If the IRS says that dependents in Canada and Mexico can be claimed if you support them, I claim them.

Again, you can refuse that 12 million + market. The big chains are not ignoring them and they advertise that they can request ITINs.

Just in case you didn't know, the mexican was correct. If he supports his parents and children, he can claim them if they live in Mexico or Canada. When he said that the other preparer could get a social security number, I think he meant ITIN.

Also, maybe he became a permanent resident throw his wife and now his children will become permanent resident and get a social security.

Yes, I did know.

He said she was getting social security cards for his mother and children. They are not moving here. They will not be living with him. Am I missing something on the rules that allow you to get a social security card/number?

And I understand that $200 a month may be alot in Mexico, but his w-2 was for close to $12,000. I should have explained more to make it clear. (at least in my opinion) $12,000 - $7800 (claimed paid for rent) = $4200. Now take the $4200 and subtract $2400 that he says he sent to Mexico. That leaves $1800 to live on and support his wife and her child here. $1800 for a year to pay for food, electric, heat, gas, etc. I don't think so. She did claim $1500 of child support received. But I still don't think so. The thought of him wanting to claim his children was kind of thrown in there as an after thought by him. So I don't actually believe that he sent the money to mexico.

And here's my problem. Let's say client walks into your office and wants his taxes prepared. Gives you his w-2. TELLS you that the number on the w-2 is fake, just made up, shows you his social security card, and says this is my real one, use this. You look at the social number on the w-2 and discover it's your very own social security number. What would you do? I would have a problem with that.

"And here's my problem. Let's say client walks into your office and wants his taxes prepared. Gives you his w-2. TELLS you that the number on the w-2 is fake, just made up, shows you his social security card, and says this is my real one, use this. You look at the social number on the w-2 and discover it's your very own social security number. What would you do? I would have a problem with that."

If I find out it is my own social security number, I would file his taxes right away before the IRS adds his salary to my salary.

I let other professionals deal with the other problems. If someone comes to my office and saids, I am here illegally and every minute I am violating many U.S. laws, but I do not want to violate the IRS laws, can you file my taxes? I say yes... absolutely, that's what I am here for. As long as he doesn't try to get benefits that he doesn't deserve, I will file his taxes.

>>you can refuse that 12 million + market<<

He might be a pretty good client. He is motivated to file properly or be banished. He is price-sensitive but has a lot of potential referrals. In the whole universe there are greater evils than fudging a government number so you can work hard and support your family.

Ajuroff,

I understand your point. Yesterday I had a client, his W-2 was more than $100K in just 6 months (more than 180K with wife). Very nice and professional person but I could not do his taxes because something didn't click. He started by saying, "I do not want a big refund and just want what's right". "I come to you because you are the CPA and know how to do this"... I immediately replied, "I am not a CPA but I can prepare your taxes" (he had left his paper and I studied his case for 30 minutes). He moved from CT to VA in the middle of the year and left a house behind. He showed me that he finally sold his house and lost 20K, and started showing me other expenses in order to sell his house. I said "The loss on your primary residence is not deductible". He couldn't believe me (of course after I said I was not a CPA). He went on to show me that he made 4 trips back to CT and showed me hotel expenses. I said, "did your new employer asked you to go back to CT 4 times?" He said "no". I said, "it is not deductible". He said but that's part of relocation... I said those were personal trips. He said "I am going to look for someone who has dealt with relacation before... I said that's fine, but the only thing you can deduct is your very first trip from CT to VA including the moving of your belongings. So far he was in my office, then he asked me about the $1000 for child tax credit and I told him that because of his salary, it vanished... then he said "Have you heard about the check the IRS will send in the summer". I said your check will be Zero. I printed out a return without the moving expenses and babysitter and I said.. you will get a refund because both employers withheld social security taxes and you overpaid SS. I went on to say, why don't you check with other preparers and handed his papers.

I have to admit, that when our clients start telling us "another preparer told me", it causes certain sensation on us. As professionals, we have to deal with our feelings.

>>you can refuse that 12 million + market<<

He might be a pretty good client. He is motivated to file properly or be banished. He is price-sensitive but has a lot of potential referrals. In the whole universe there are greater evils than fudging a government number so you can work hard and support your family.

If we were closer, I would send him your way...along with his referrals. :)