ATX Community

sale of leasehold interest

michaelmars

Well... I look at it a little different than Maribeth. During the lease period the leasehold item could be removed and sold since it does not become property of the landlord until the lease expires.

Therefore, it appears to me that this is a tangible business asset and that the sale would be reported on form 4797 subject to recapture as ordinary income if there is "Nonrecaptured net section 1231 losses" from prior years (4797, line 8). As to depreciation recapture it would depend upon the leasehold asset classification, as an example if it was carpet it would be §1245 recapture subject to ordinary recapture, or if building structure, such as a fixed wall, it would be depreciated under §1250 and not subject to recapture as ordinary income.

OLD JACK you misunderstood or i wasn't clear, not leasehold improvements, the lease itself is what was allocated value. - not a depreciable asset, not even an asset on the books

A lease-hold is an intangible per Reg § 1.162-11. The buyer will amortize it, your client will treat the sale of it the same as goodwill, capital gains.