ATX Community

Tax Preparers Phone Scam (maybe)

BLACK BART

As you know there are news stories lately about fraudsters targeting tax preparers.  I think my secretary (okay, okay; so it's my wife) may have heard from one this week.  She said it was a lady from somewhere in Tennessee who said she'd found our office on Google (news to me - I'm not there unless IRS gave me up). Gosh, it's kind of flattering even if you know it's a lie -- to think my infamy has preceded me to the extent someone's willing to drive hundreds of miles to Hole-in-the-Road, AR to in hopes of accessing my extraordinary 1040 skills :rolleyes:

Oh well; them's the breaks!

• Like 5

It may not be a scam.  I, for one, would drive to Arkansas from NC to  avail myself of your services if I needed tax advice.  Money would be no object, and distance would not discourage me.  It's entirely possible that there's someone else out there having the same level of discernment that I possess.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, JohnH said:

It may not be a scam.  I, for one, would drive to Arkansas from NC to  avail myself of your services if I needed tax advice.  Money would be no object, and distance would not discourage me.  It's entirely possible that there's someone else out there having the same level of discernment that I possess.  

Well said, John; well said.  Many thanks for your kind words (you hand out more grease than we render from a hog-killin'). While, like that country singer, I have (sometimes high) friends in low places; a bank president also once availed himself of my services (wished to confirm that April 15th thing).  But anyway,  to save you the drive, I'll just furnish a quick summary: Re: taxes - (a) file promptly and (b) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES sign up to "pay pennies on the dollar".  Re: investments - I find it best to buy low, sell high. 

If you still feel the need for outside assistance please send me your pedigree/particulars via PM (don't forget hair color/ favorite ice cream flavor) and I will forward then to Ms. Tennessee on her very next call. 

• Like 8