ATX Community

Massachusetts problem - beware!

Catherine

For those preparing Massachusetts returns, be aware of a problem that has been dogging one of my returns for two weeks now; don't know how widespread it is. I've just finished my _third_ long phone call to them with no resolution.

One client return has been rejected by ATX EFC three times now. Each time the purported error is different, makes no sense, and doesn't even apply to this return. And when I call tech support, they tell me something _different_ from what the error codes tell me. I get "information" such as "Line 25 of Form 2 mis-calculation"... well, MA Form 2 is the _fiduciary_ return, not individual; there's no way that could be the problem.

I've sent the file to tech support and they promise to get back to me tomorrow. Just like on Saturday they promised to get back to me on Monday (yesterday) but didn't. But at least they have the file now; perhaps I'll learn something useful. And will keep folks posted if there is something endemic.

But there is some major e-filing problem in Massachusetts this year. Delays are bad enough, but this mangling of returns is very worrisome (and time-consuming).

Catherine

It took them three days to resolve this issue, and it turned out to be both innocuous and royally annoying.

Turned out the client e-file went through just fine! What happened after that is somehow the reporting-back-to-me portion got corrupted -- and once it was corrupted, I kept getting the same inaccurate results: file rejected for a variety of bogus reasons. My client got his refund check yesterday -- I hope to have the correct e-file acknowledgment tomorrow.

So, for those of you with returns stuck in limbo -- be aware of this possibility.

So yes it was innocuous. It also cost me too many hours over a couple of weeks. Sigh.

Catheirne