ATX Community

Is LTD Disability taxable or not

kidkjbiker

I had been paying into a Sunlife LTD plan through my company. On my W2 from my company they listed at the top. The chart indicates your 2016 voluntary adjustments which are included (+) excluded (-) or did not affect N/A your federal wages. Box 1.  They then list the voluntary adjustments

Voluntary adjustments       YTD amounts               Federal Wages 

Long Term                             $173.27                        N/A

The $173.27 I paid is listed no where else on the W2. 

From Sunlife the W2 I received lists in box 1 the amounts Sunlife the disability provider paid in 2016. I am thinking as the LTD did not affect my wages and I paid it it should be non-taxable. 

Box 13 of the Sunlife W2 lists it as Sick Pay.  

How can I determine who paid the insurance.  Me or my company.  Sunlife says my company screwed up and that their agreement with my company was where it should be taxable.   

This site is for tax professionals using a specific brand of software not used by the general public. We do not answer questions posed by nonprofessionals here. If you have questions related to the reporting on paystubs or W-2s, you should be asking your employer, HR or payroll dept for clarification.