ATX Community

Adoption Credit

Hahn1040

Do any of you have recent experience with the turnaround time for the Adoption credit?

My client is eager for the $11,000 refund.  About half is from the Adoption credit.  Will the IRS pull the return and scrutinize the adoption expenses before releasing the credit.  I am considering suggesting that we file without the credit to get his regular refund and then amend for the Adoption credit.

the adoption was final late  in 2017.  The child has an ATIN.  the SS# was applied for as soon as the adoption was final.  Would it make sense to wait for the SS#?  They do not receive the Child Tax Credit or EIC.

any personal experience will be greatly appreciated.

Wait for the SS#.  ATIN will probably reject if you e-file.

Don't expect the refund quickly.  The return WILL be reviewed.  May be 6 weeks to 6 months.  

If you file now and amend later, expect it to be much longer.  The IRS will DEFINITELY scrutinize the amended return with a magnifying  glass.

I tell all my clients that receive a refund: "Do not spend the money until you have it in your hand."  Most do not bother to listen to that advice, then I field all the calls: "Why is my refund taking so long.  I have to pay XXXXXXXX that we bought last month.  We must have the refund to pay the bill."