ATX Community

Need help with California Return

mdmcfarland

I need help with a CA return. I have a client that moved to CA in the fall of 2007. Most of her income was derived from NE, but she did work a bit in CA and has a W2 with some CA withholding. She lives in LA.

I have never done a CA return and am not sure what forms I need. :dunno: I plan on filing her as a CA resident and NE part year resident. She was a student (age 21) and I think she is still going to school. I'm not positive at this time if her parents are claiming her on their NE return or if she is claiming herself.

If someone could please let me know what forms I need I would appreciate it. You can either answer me here or in personal email.

Denise [email protected]

Start with form 540 and pull up the instructions for the form. Look at the rules for Part Year Residents. You may want to go PY rather than resident, because CA will tax all of her income and then give a credit for taxes paid in another state if you file her as a resident. If you go PY, the form is 540NR. If you go resident the form is 540.

Start with this and ask questions as you go.

Tom

Lodi, CA