ATX Community

Form 1098 3 Single Owners

cpabsd

Three single clients bought a house together. All three are listed on the deed and all three are liable for the mortgage. However, the 1098 only came in one person's name. I plan to e file all three returns. Should I report the mortgage interest on Schedule A Line 11 for the two owners who are not listed on 1098 and report reduced amount on Line 10 Schedule A for the person whose SSN is on 1098? The instructions for Schedule A indicate to attach a schedule with other persons SSN and Address. Any ideas on how to accomplish this in ATX?

Thanks!

Two possibilities:

1. Issue 1099 Passthroughs to transfer money to the owners whose SS is not shown on the 1098, or

2. Make subtraction entries on the return of the receiver of the 1098, "Transferred to John Jones, xxx-xx-xxxx, co-owner of property." and a like entry on transferee's Schedule A - "Transferred from Jack Jones, xxx-xx-xxxx, co-owner of property and receiver of 1098."

I have used both methods in the past and have had no problems.