ATX Community

Client married - briefly

cpabsd

I'm not quite sure what Jainen's rather cryptic reply is intended to mean. I thought "annulment" of a marriage was something only the Pope did. Marriage laws are generally State laws, and I don't know what your State law says about annulment, but my guess is that WV takes marriage seriously. I conjur pictures of bearded men with shotguns "insuring" that a marriage sticks.

I would say they were still married at 12-31, and hence only MFJ or MFS are available.

>>WV takes marriage seriously<<

Obviously these West Virginians didn't take their vows seriously, and neither did the West Virginia court. I apologize for trying to exactly define the term. Would it be better to see what the IRS says about it?

Pub 17, page 20. "If you obtain a court decree of annulment, which holds that no valid marriage ever existed, you are considered unmarried even if you filed joint returns for earlier years. You must file Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, claiming single or head of household status for each year affected by the annulment... "

For those interested, the client is an attorney. He did indeed file the annulment in the courts. Thanks for the information fromt he publication. that is very useful.

Michigan also takes marriage very seriously, a few years ago the ex-mayor and his wife had their marriage "annulled" after twenty-eight or so years....I looked up the statute and wondered which one of them was underage, insane, a difference sex than advertised, or perhaps they were close relatives???? Whichever of the myriad issues caused the marriage to be "annulled" in Michigan closed-courts after so many years this inquirying mind wanted to know if/when they told (or will tell) the grandchildren that they were "never married."

I would have loved to have the paid task of filing 28 years worth of hefty amendments. lbb aka inquirying mind

>>filing 28 years worth of hefty amendments. lbb aka inquirying mind<<

Okay, I'll finish the rest of the Pub 17 quote.

"... that is not closed by the statute of limitations for filing a tax return."

DUH, oh yeah DUH DUH

either I'm exhausted (definite possibility) or you have no sense of humor left (also a possibility)

>>filing 28 years worth of hefty amendments. lbb aka inquirying mind<<

Okay, I'll finish the rest of the Pub 17 quote.

"... that is not closed by the statute of limitations for filing a tax return."

PS The whole post was supposed to be funny

I looked up the statute and wondered which one of them was underage, insane, a difference sex than advertised, or perhaps they were close relatives???? Whichever of the myriad issues caused the marriage to be "annulled" in Michigan closed-courts after so many years this inquirying mind wanted to know if/when they told (or will tell) the grandchildren that they were "never married."