ATX Community

Stimulus Payment

nynjtaxman

Has anyone else been getting phone calls about the IRS notice concerning the stimulus payment. I must have gotten 20 calls today. I even had 2 clients that filled out a 1040A and mailed it in. I already filed for them. Ya gotta love it.

Yeh, lots of calls. That's pretty funny about the two you had already done!

The last one I had was from a girl doing her granny's return: "I heard that all I have to put on here is her social security. She also has retirement and interest." Me: "You should prepare it correctly, just as if she were filing a regular return." Girl: "But H & R Block told her several years ago that she didn't have to file."

OK, why do people call for free advice and then argue with us?!

I had a dream that all the Stimulus Payment returns I have done were ignored because I used 1040 instead of 1040-A. (I just do everything on 1040 for rollover purposes.) They're all mail in, so this really is just a bad dream, right?

I have found it interesting that I have had at least half a dozen who came in for "stimulus returns' and left owing taxes. Income has all been correctly reported interest, dividends, pensions, etc with proper 1099's and correct social security numbers, and yet they have not gotten letters in the past telling them they should have filed, and in at least half the cases I don't think this is the first year their interest went over the limits. Interesting side effect of publicizing the need to file to get this "free money." B)

Well, I've only had one of those so far, but the amount owed was only $21, and that is the reason, I expect, that she had not gotten any notices. If it is under $50, they will not normally bother processing it when if it's not filed, unless some other problem is also present.