ATX Community

different mailing address and state of residency?

daisy

OK, brain fart time...

It seems not many of my questions here are difficult, it's always the simple ones that confuse me!

He lives in WA state, wife lives with daughter in ID. MFJ. State of residency is WA, but since he uses a PO Box, because his residence is in an rv that moves around alot, we use her ID address for the mailing address. That works, doesn't it? State of residency and mailing address state being different? This is how I've done it in past years, now for some reason, I'm questioning it.

Thanks!

OK, brain fart time...

It seems not many of my questions here are difficult, it's always the simple ones that confuse me!

He lives in WA state, wife lives with daughter in ID. MFJ. State of residency is WA, but since he uses a PO Box, because his residence is in an rv that moves around alot, we use her ID address for the mailing address. That works, doesn't it? State of residency and mailing address state being different? This is how I've done it in past years, now for some reason, I'm questioning it.

Thanks!

I am not replying directly but I would like to share this with you since it is related. I do a lot of returns for VA, DC, and MD. In April 2005, my friend who lived and worked in VA came to have his 2004 taxes prepared. He said he was moving in a week and he didn't want to have his refund mailed to his address, so he asked me to use his friend's address in MD. Last summer he got a letter from MD stating that he owed more than 2K in taxes for 2004. On the MD tax bill it was stated that he filed Federal taxes using a MD address and he didn't file MD taxes. Since MD and VA have reciprocal agreements, we only sent a VA certified return to MD and they were happy.

Sometimes, you file MFJ on Federal and MFS on the states based on where each spouse resided during the tax year.

I am not replying directly but I would like to share this with you since it is related. I do a lot of returns for VA, DC, and MD. In April 2005, my friend who lived and worked in VA came to have his 2004 taxes prepared. He said he was moving in a week and he didn't want to have his refund mailed to his address, so he asked me to use his friend's address in MD. Last summer he got a letter from MD stating that he owed more than 2K in taxes for 2004. On the MD tax bill it was stated that he filed Federal taxes using a MD address and he didn't file MD taxes. Since MD and VA have reciprocal agreements, we only sent a VA certified return to MD and they were happy.

Sometimes, you file MFJ on Federal and MFS on the states based on where each spouse resided during the tax year.

Thanks for the info. I'm taking that under advisement, and looking over the situation again.

>>his residence is in an rv that moves around alot<<

In my opinion, you should document a complete interview exploring residency factors under both Idaho and Washington state law. Maybe there's more to this story, but so far all you're saying is his wife and family definitely live in Idaho and he does not have a permanent abode in any other state. I'm sure Idaho is aware of the obvious tax dodge in claiming to be a resident over the state line, but community property laws mean the best you can get away with is excluding half the joint income on an Idaho non-resident return. My guess is he is an Idaho resident and all income is taxable there. Cruising western highways does not establish community ties.