ATX Community

Help with Maine Tax Return

MontanaEA

I hope one of you Maine preparers can help me. I have to paper file a Maine resident return because the taxpayer receives a foreign pension that I can't figure out how to e-file. Does Maine want a copy of the Federal return attached? Do they want the Federal Schedules A, B, or D? I can't find anything in the instructions to guide me. Thanks!

Anybody? I really need to get this return in the mail. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I'm not from Maine but I did go look at the instructions, I also did not see anything about including federal forms with a full year resident return, only with a part year return. I'm sure you would rather have somebody from Maine answer, but at least I can verify that you did not see instructions to include the federal forms. I would be inclined to not send them.

I hope one of you Maine preparers can help me. I have to paper file a Maine resident return because the taxpayer receives a foreign pension that I can't figure out how to e-file. Does Maine want a copy of the Federal return attached? Do they want the Federal Schedules A, B, or D? I can't find anything in the instructions to guide me. Thanks!

"Maine residents: If form is filed with the federal return, attach Forms 4562, 6251, and 8801. Attach Schedules K-1 to support income and deductions. Enclose W-2 and any 1099ME forms showing ME tax withheld. Do not staple or tape."

That's the instructions from the Tax Book on assembling paper-filed returns. It _looks_ like they want substantiation from the Federal of anything "unusual" (i.e., non-ME wages, standard interest, etc). Under the heading of "it doesn't hurt if it substantiates positions taken", I guess I'd say to include it.

Address for refund: PO Box 9111 Augusta 04332

Address for payment or "no balance": PO Box 1067, Augusta 04332

"Maine residents: If form is filed with the federal return, attach Forms 4562, 6251, and 8801. Attach Schedules K-1 to support income and deductions. Enclose W-2 and any 1099ME forms showing ME tax withheld. Do not staple or tape."

That's the instructions from the Tax Book on assembling paper-filed returns. It _looks_ like they want substantiation from the Federal of anything "unusual" (i.e., non-ME wages, standard interest, etc). Under the heading of "it doesn't hurt if it substantiates positions taken", I guess I'd say to include it.

Address for refund: PO Box 9111 Augusta 04332

Address for payment or "no balance": PO Box 1067, Augusta 04332

Thank you. I wish the Maine tax instructions had said that. I just mailed it - without the Federal 6251. Oh well.