ATX Community

Federal Forms attached to State returns

taxdan

Are we supposed to label the Federal forms we attach to the state returns at the top such as...

"California Copy"

or

"California Copy - California Amounts"

...assuming the state amounts are different due to depreciation and such.

If so, is there an easier way than going into the form and editing it...or handwriting it?

I know, I know...stop bothering us with silly questions Dan!

I'm tired.

Thanks JRS. Yes, that is what I normally do.

I was actually thinking about a partnership return though. The 8825 showing rental income varies from Fed to state due to depreciation and I wasn't sure if I should attach a "CA" version of the 8825...in addition to the 3885P. The only reason I got started thinking about this was that the last preparer that did this return attached a "CA" version.

Oh well, not that important.

Also, most states, the program itself will let you go to the 4562, up at the very top there is a blue box where you can click, and change from the Federal view [default] to the AMT version or the STATE version. Then you print it. Alternatively, you go to the tabs at the bottom, select Print Options tab, and there select by checking the boxes, to have it print the state form, and/or the state Detail, etc. An often overlooked feature that is really nice.

I don't know about CA, but I just put a copy of the Fed return with the original state. I do have a blue 'COPY' stamp I stamp the Fed copy 1st page (and signature section) included with the state return. This is more for the benefit of the client so he doesn't confuse the Fed copy with the Fed original. I let the state do their thing in figuring any differences. I do print the ATX state version of 4562 and depreciation schedules as part of the state original and the Fed copy has the Fed 4562 and schedules.

• 2 weeks later...