ATX Community

Need help reporting casualty gain on residence

PapaJoe

Client's house burned down. Basis $96,000 insurance proceeds $258,000 results in a casualty gain which can be treated as a sale of personal residence qualifying for Sec 121 exclusion. My problem is how to get ATX software to report it correctly. Completing 4684 results in the gain being reported on line 11 of Sch D. How do I show the 121 exclusion of this gain without somehow overiding Sch D? Can anybody help?

PapaJoe - Schedule D, Detail - top line of detail jumps to input for disposition of residence. I have not used it this year so cannot verify that it works right. Hope this helps.

Z

Thanks, Zeke, but I know how to input regular disposition of residence. My problem is this is a casualty gain on residence and the casualty loss form doesn't want to play well with top line of Sch D input. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Before the worksheet did it for us, we used to put a second line on the D to show the §121 exemption in the amount of the gain. I would think that method would still work, as the worksheet does the same thing if you tell it to show the gain and exclusion.

Never did a Casualty Gain before, but I think this is how I would do it.

Tom

Lodi, CA