ATX Community

Kansas part year

bstaxes

Part year Kansas and I am looking at the K-40. Shouldn't line 3 be the amount from the W-2 that belongs to Kansas? Used sch s for modifications. Client had large income in prior state before moving to KS. The K-40 is using all of the federal amount and finding a percentage for KS. This amount seems way out of wack. Income earned 29298, tax withheld 177. KS wants 1582 in tax. Percentage is 12.

Am I using the wrong forms?

Any help will be helpful for state. This client has moved 5 times in the past 2 years all company moves (3 different states) and moving expenses is one problem but this state KS is driving me crazy.

Part year Kansas and I am looking at the K-40. Shouldn't line 3 be the amount from the W-2 that belongs to Kansas? Used sch s for modifications. Client had large income in prior state before moving to KS. The K-40 is using all of the federal amount and finding a percentage for KS. This amount seems way out of wack. Income earned 29298, tax withheld 177. KS wants 1582 in tax. Percentage is 12.

Am I using the wrong forms?

Any help will be helpful for state. This client has moved 5 times in the past 2 years all company moves (3 different states) and moving expenses is one problem but this state KS is driving me crazy.

Kansas does figure the tax on total income then figures out a percent of that based on Kansas income to total income to figure the tax due Kansas. It does make Kansas tax big if they have big income outside Kansas. Did they live in Kansas on 12/31/07? If so, file them as a resident and take a credit for taxes paid to other states on line 13 of the K-40.

On another note I've been meaning to ask you something. Does bstaxes stand for "bulls**t taxes"?