ATX Community

Do You Have Trucker Clients?

Lion EA

I have taken 5 or 6 of these free IRS CPE classes over the last several years.

The quality of them varies quite a bit.

I took one recently about the new Tax Pro Online system which is supposed to roll out next month.

It was subpar and not well done. The documentation was just a bunch of screen shots which were mostly unreadable due to tiny little print.

On a scale of 1 to 5, I would rate it a 2.

On the other hand, last August, I took an intermediate level class on Partnership Basis which was excellent and covered the subject in depth.

Frankly it was the best class I have ever taken covering this topic and I learned a lot!

I guess I can't complain too much since they were free.

• Like 1

Same here; although, I've taken IRS classes mainly during the pandemic. I agree that their Tax Pro Online class was poor, and in my evaluation I told them what I thought about the tiny little print. I remember a class from 2020 that was surprisingly helpful, though. So, like you, I continue to take topics that interest me/that I need from the IRS knowing that I haven't wasted any money!

Don't want to sound like a snob or know-it-all, but most of the IRS freebies I've taken have been way too basic.  Nothing there you can't learn from the pubs.  I took one on due diligence this year just to find out what documentation is acceptable to prove a child lives with the taxpayer, etc.  The presenter said you don't have to list any if the responses to the questions seemed "correct, complete, and consistent," but our software doesn't know that and won't pass a return through diagnostics unless something is listed there.  I didn't lose any money, but that's an hour of my life I won't get back.

The nice thing about free classes, from the IRS or any other provider, is that if it's not what I wanted I just turn it off. Or, leave it on in case it offers something I need while I multi-task, answer emails, whatever. I have plenty of CEs and haven't wasted any money, so I can log out whenever I want.

If I know the instructor is good, I keep it on in case I learn at least one new thing. If the instructor is poor, I log out. Or, I log in later to the archive when I can fast forward to find any parts of the agenda that I think could interest me. I won't stay tuned in for 50 minutes if the instructor isn't engaging me!

• Like 2