ATX Community

Child claimed herself in error-must amend

MJG CPA

Child self-filed and claimed herself so she could get her $60 refund [she is so grounded!]. Now I have to amend her return so the parents can claim her. [Found out when the parents' e-file got rejected (SSN already used).]

My question is, would you wait to file the parents' return claiming the exemption until after the child's return has been amended - or file the child's amended return and the parents return in the same envelope? If we wait, how long should we wait to be sure IRS has processed the amended return?

I don't want IRS to deny the exemption to the parents due to the amended return not being processed yet.

Has anyone run into this?

Don't file in same envelope; the return on the top will get processed and the other one will be stapled behind it and lost. NEVER file two returns in the same envelope. Just file both; the parents will get processed and her X will get processed and then no one will get a letter saying requesting one of them be amended, because it already will be.

Just file both; the parents will get processed and her X will get processed and then no one will get a letter saying requesting one of them be amended, because it already will be.

Thank you for the response. In the order that things get processed at IRS, won't an amended return go on the back burner, so to speak, so if both returns are filed simultaneously, the dependency exemption will get denied on the parents' return since the child has already been claimed.

I just wondered if it wouldn't be wise to hold the parents for a few weeks (maybe more?) after the child's amended return is filed to allow the amended return to get into the system first.

I'm just not sure how long of a waiting period is sufficient, and the parents don't want to wait forever to get their refund.

It's been a few years, but I have filed 2 returns in the same envelope in a similar situation to the one you describe. However, I did not staple the two returns together and I attached the brightest post-it notes I had on hand to each[/u] return stating "2 returns enclosed." They processed just fine inside of 2 months.

Elfling

My question is, would you wait to file the parents' return claiming the exemption until after the child's return has been amended - or file the child's amended return and the parents return in the same envelope? If we wait, how long should we wait to be sure IRS has processed the amended return?

I don't want IRS to deny the exemption to the parents due to the amended return not being processed yet.

Has anyone run into this?

I've sent in the correct return (by mail) and then sent in the amended return afterwards. So far haven't had a problem. If it takes too long to send in the amendment then I'm sure there would be letters sent out to the taxpayers.

Eli

The dependent claimed by another happens all the time with divorced spouses. The parents return will be processed but both of them will receive a letter with a 1040x later on requesting that one return be amended. If an amended return is already filed, it should be ok. Just dont' send them in the same envelope; heck I don't think amended returns necessarily even go to the same service center. Just file the darn thing; it won't be rejected.