ATX Community

Rejected and must file paper

YesYouMustPay

My client's balance due return was rejected because the ex-wife hijacked his dependent exemptions. It was transmitted around 8:00 pm April 15, couldn't get through the traffic any earlier. I printed the reject notice April 17.

He must now file a paper return to start the dependent claim dance. Is he timely filed, if his paper return mails today, April 18?

How do I prove later that he did try to efile on 4/15? Is this going to be trouble?

My client's balance due return was rejected because the ex-wife hijacked his dependent exemptions. It was transmitted around 8:00 pm April 15, couldn't get through the traffic any earlier. I printed the reject notice April 17.

He must now file a paper return to start the dependent claim dance. Is he timely filed, if his paper return mails today, April 18?

How do I prove later that he did try to efile on 4/15? Is this going to be trouble?

I would print out the E-file acknowledgement history and the rejection error...mail them with the return with a brief explanation that return was transmitted on 04/15, but was rejected due to dependency...etc.

i believe the service has a five-day grace period in such cases. i'm not going into my resources tonight to verify this, but i've had a couple of similar problems in years past that went through with *no* subsequent notices. (and bob's advice is good.)

hope this helps, taxcpany