ATX Community

Has anyone ever tried this MajicJack

GeorgeM

works well, but you need windows xp with service pack 2 for it to connect properly.

It comes with voice mail.... and the phone only works when your computer is on, otherwise it goes to voice mail... Plugs into your USB port .. it's about the size of the memory stick. Pretty neat for the price. I got two, one for me and one for my daughter.

I agree that it works well. I really like the price $40 for the 1st year including the gadget and $20 per year after. I would like to make this my main phone and drop my landline. But I've had my phone # for 18 years and all my friends, family and clients have it. When they let you port your existing phone number to MagicJack, I'll drop my landline in a heartbeat.

They used to have a user forum, but pulled it a few months ago. Someone else set up an unofficial board and it provides lots of updates and answers. (Gee, where have I heard this scenario before?) To see lots of user opinions (good and bad), check this out:

http://unofficialmagicjack.forum2u.org/

Hope that helps.

I think you have the price wrong, it's $20 for the first year. AT least the last 4 that I bought were that much.

Biggest pain is that your computer must be on and the program must be running on your computer to use it. I don't know how it interacts with your tax programs though. Usually once I get on the phone I drag the application off the screen so it doesn't bug me. Very limited number of area codes/exchanges available, none in Hawaii yet. I can't get their 911 feature to accept that I am living where I am living, it just doesn't like my address. Having the computer on all the time does run up your electric bill though, but for me that is not a problem as I leave my machine on all the time so I can access it remotely. I could NOT get the unit to work under Win2003 Server, which I would have liked to do as I was going to connect it to our PBX as a backup line.

BUT, as far as voice quality, it seems great, although it really does depend on the quality of the phone you plug into it. Cheapo $9.95 phone from Walmart seemed to cause an 'echo' effect, but once I replaced it with a better quality phone it was nice. My kids use the cordless phone I have plugged into it now as if it was a standard line.

I like the voicemail messages getting sent to my email address. That's like the best feature for me as I can get my messages when I am working.

Trusting your word above that of the people on the other bulletin boards, I just ordered one. Yes, it's $40 for the first year. You must have gotten a deal. $20 a year after that.

I think you have the price wrong, it's $20 for the first year. AT least the last 4 that I bought were that much. I really needed a second line....we'll see how it works. Wonder if it will work with a fax machine...

Biggest pain is that your computer must be on and the program must be running on your computer to use it. I don't know how it interacts with your tax programs though. Usually once I get on the phone I drag the application off the screen so it doesn't bug me. Very limited number of area codes/exchanges available, none in Hawaii yet. I can't get their 911 feature to accept that I am living where I am living, it just doesn't like my address. Having the computer on all the time does run up your electric bill though, but for me that is not a problem as I leave my machine on all the time so I can access it remotely. I could NOT get the unit to work under Win2003 Server, which I would have liked to do as I was going to connect it to our PBX as a backup line.

BUT, as far as voice quality, it seems great, although it really does depend on the quality of the phone you plug into it. Cheapo $9.95 phone from Walmart seemed to cause an 'echo' effect, but once I replaced it with a better quality phone it was nice. My kids use the cordless phone I have plugged into it now as if it was a standard line.

I like the voicemail messages getting sent to my email address. That's like the best feature for me as I can get my messages when I am working.

I got mine yesterday, and it works fine, except that the voice volume is much too low. I will have to find a phone with a mic volume control to use this often. For the price, I suppose it's worth it.

Trusting your word above that of the people on the other bulletin boards, I just ordered one. Yes, it's $40 for the first year. You must have gotten a deal. $20 a year after that.

I use voice stick which is similiar. It has been around as long as Vonage. I think the features are better.

http://www.voicestick.com/

The residential plan is prepaid 1 Cent per minute with a minimum charge of $1 per month. I have been using for over a year. Their equipment is good. Plugs into a phone and directly into internet router box. Rings and dials like a normal phone. You do not have to have your computer on... Free voicemail and free phone forwarding..

That's my next plan...but somehow I left the cord for the other phone at home...have to try that later. I'm hoping that will be good enough.

Hmm... I haven't experienced that problem, the volume for me seems normal. Have you just tried a different phone connected to the device? It might just be the handset.