ATX Community

Meta Pixels embedded in your emails

Lee B

If you receive a commercial email with the following message at the beginning of your email:

"Images are not displayed  -  Display images below  -  Always Display images from [email protected]"

If you click on this link then you are authorizing the sender to embed Meta Pixels in the current and future emails from the sender.

At that point you have no way of knowing what or how much information is being sent back to the sender and to Meta!

At my age I am not capable of going "off the grid"😠

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cbslee said:

"Images are not displayed  -  Display images below  -  Always Display images from [email protected]"

Many email apps have a setting to display or not display images.  If you have your account set to not display images, most email apps will put a message like this at the top of the page.  Not all emails with images have tracking pixels.  There are browser add ons that will detect and block tracking pixels. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Slippery Pencil said:

Many email apps have a setting to display or not display images.  If you have your account set to not display images, most email apps will put a message like this at the top of the page.

Thanks, I have changed my gmail settings so that all images are being blocked even those I previously allowed.

In Outlook I only seem to be able to block images from unknown senders.

2 hours ago, Slippery Pencil said:

.  .  .    There are browser add ons that will detect and block tracking pixels. 

I have read about those, however if you are blocking tracking pixels, you may not be able to use that site when you really need to.

For example until recently the U S Dept of Education's FAFSA site had tracking pixels.