ATX Community

Roth excess contribution

Margaret CPA in OH

Client has 1099R showing code PJ from Roth.  He says in July he realized that he was overinvested in the Roth and asked the advisor to make the overage a 2022 contribution. So the codes mean early distribution no known exception and excess contributions plus earnings/excess deferrals (and/or earnings) taxable in 2021 (but the form is 2022).

Is there a maximum time limit to make that sort of change?  I think I do need to see the statement showing that the amount was then deposited for 2022.  Anything else?  It means the 10% penalty of about $250 for a new graduate not making a lot of money.

I am not

On 4/7/2023 at 2:20 PM, Margaret CPA in OH said:

.  He says in July he realized that he was overinvested in the Roth and asked the advisor to make the overage a 2022 contribution.

I am not following the sequence of events here at all Margaret.

It means the 10% penalty of about $250 for a new graduate not making a lot of money.

But I am almost certain the penalty applies only to earnings in the case of a Roth.  $250 does not sound like 10% of earnings to me.

for a new graduate not making a lot of money.

So that must mean he either contributed more than $6,000; or contributed up to $6,000 but his earnings were less than contributions?

I am not following this part either for new grad note making a lot of money.

new graduate not making a lot of money.

So assume he did not earn $xxx,xxx and hit the income limitation.

Thanks, DANRVAN, for your comments.  I am still awaiting answers.  I have asked for the statements of the account but not yet received anything.  The $250 penalty on 5329 is calculated before showing the amount NOT subject to tax.  I have not received that as yet so not sure how much is basis vs earnings.

It occurred to me that this should have been a 2021 issue.  He graduated in June 2022.  Parents are long time clients so I prepared his returns for 2019, 2020, and 2021.  For 2021 he had less than $3000 self employment income.  For 2022 his wages with no deferrals or company Roth were only $23,180.  So wondering how he could have so much in a Roth and not reported previously.  And how much could he have contributed in 2021 and still have $$?  Hmmm...  Something funny here.

A reply this morning brought lots of information and the statements, yay!  Grandparents were the generous providers.  I haven't had time yet to comb through for ALL the details and values for earnings only.  But I think I have the data to get there.  And the statements show all the transactions.  I do believe I will be asking for ALL statements since inception, though, as his wages (summer jobs) in 2019 and 2020 may not support the contributions. 

Thanks for the prodding!