ATX Community

Hackers Multitool for only $169

Lee B

So for $169 you can order online a device with which you can hack many wireless devices i.e. garage door openers, car key fobs,

remote gate openers, electronic door locks, basically many wireless locking systems.

We definitely live in a different world now!

"You may have stumbled across the Flipper Zero hacking device that’s been doing the rounds. The company claims it is on track to sell $80 million worth of ’em this year after selling almost $5 million worth as Kickstarter preorders — and it claims it sold $25 million worth of the devices last year.

So what are they selling? Flipper Zero is a “portable gamified multi-tool” aimed at everyone with an interest in cybersecurity, whether as a penetration tester, curious nerd or student — or with more nefarious purposes. The tool includes a bunch of ways to manipulate the world around you, including wireless devices (think garage openers), RFID card systems, remote keyless systems, key fobs, entry to barriers, etc. Basically, you can program it to emulate a bunch of different lock systems.

The system really works, too — I’m not much of a hacker, but I’ve been able to open garages, activate elevators and open other locking systems that should be way beyond my hacking skill level. On the one hand, it’s an interesting toy to experiment with, which highlights how insecure much of the world around us actually is. On the other hand, I’m curious if it’s a great idea to have 300,000+ hacking devices out in the wild that make it easy to capture car key signals and gate openers and then use them to open said apertures (including Tesla charge ports, for some bizarre reason)."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I fail to understand how this can be. At best it is criminal activity to break into someone's garage, car or whatever. This is exactly what every thief needs to have. The authorities need to find these folks who make this stuff shut down their operations and lock them up. But of course, if they are selling the amounts they claim, then there's the revenue lost from shutting them down. 

You say "We definitely live in a different world now! shoot I remember the days when my dad never took the keys out of the car nor did we close and lock the doors on the house at night. No AC and the air flow through the house was great. No electronic toys, no hackers, no computers just a bunch of kids playing outside in the neighborhood who couldn't stand to be in the house. All we wanted was a baseball, football, bat and glove, and basketball and not the latest and greatest iPhone. Hell we were happy with a telephone party line. Those were definitely the days. A time frame when a man's word was just as good as a signature on a loan document. Never gave it a thought that the first computer, tax prep software would grow to become a tool for thieves. Oh yeah, you could count on the good old US Mail system too. 

• Like 2

Amazon was selling this device up until about 2 months ago when they banned it from their website.

I did some more reading about it.  In the hands of someone more experienced, it can hack wireless security cameras, remotely hack wireless keyboards and wireless mouses. Even more scary, combined with a red laser light it can used to to hack traffic signals.

I can just imagine several stoners cruising around hacking traffic signals just for fun.😠

26 minutes ago, cbslee said:

I can just imagine several stoners cruising around hacking traffic signals just for fun.😠

You don't have to be stoned to want your commute shortened by having all green lights on your way to work....    Not that I have the skill to do that, but this is one very useful feature of the tool.   

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 1