ATX Community

ID and 401(K) theft

Peggy Cobb

A client of mine moved from Washington State to Idaho the first part of this year, got married, then had it annulled because she used his SS#, took all of his cash, changed his address to hers, took out credit cards and cellphones with his SS#, and drained his 401(K) of $15,000 and then took off. She has had a warrent served and he is working with the prosecuting attorney.

The main question - what of this 401(K) distribution is taxable? I reviewed the exceptions and the only one that comes close (and it would be a major stretch that I am not comfortable with) is distribution to a nonparticipant under a qualified domestic relations order. I advised him to see if he could locate her SS#.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Peggy Cobb

Mount Vernon, WA

>>use the innocent spouse rules<<

Neither that nor the QDRO can work since they were never married.

Use Form 8275 to explain why you are not reporting the 1099-R on the tax return. If you get an IRS letter about undeclared income, respond immediately. IRS is very concerned about identity theft. They have a pamphlet, pub 4535, and the Taxpayer's Advocate has reported to Congress that the issue is of the highest priority.

A client of mine moved from Washington State to Idaho the first part of this year, got married, then had it annulled because she used his SS#, took all of his cash, changed his address to hers, took out credit cards and cellphones with his SS#, and drained his 401(K) of $15,000 and then took off. She has had a warrent served and he is working with the prosecuting attorney.

The main question - what of this 401(K) distribution is taxable? I reviewed the exceptions and the only one that comes close (and it would be a major stretch that I am not comfortable with) is distribution to a nonparticipant under a qualified domestic relations order. I advised him to see if he could locate her SS#.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Peggy Cobb

Mount Vernon, WA

I have some "parrington" friends in Mount Vernon, WA.

There should be no taxable income, if your friend had nothing to do with the withdrawal. It was a theft, under false pretense, fraud, forgery, etc.

The problem is naturally, communicating that to the IRS.