ATX Community

Consistently losing prior year accumulated depreciation information

David

After I input the prior year accumulated depreciation information into the asset entry for new clients, the information is lost each time I close the tax return. This has happened on all my new client tax returns.

Has anyone else experienced this? What do I need to do to prevent this from happening? It is aggravating to have to re-enter this information over and over again.

I searched for this problem on this site but nothing came up.

I sent one of the tax returns to ATX support and was told I would hear back within 24 hours. I had to call today and they still don't know the status. No one had the courtesy to call me back to let me know they don't know what's going on yet.

I have never heard back on another issue I had during the heat of the tax season so I don't have much confidence that I will hear back from ATX tech support on this.

Thanks for your help on this.

Wierd that you and MAS are both reporting problems with saving information. I wonder if it's related.

I'm not having problems saving information. Everything else seems fine. It's just when I have a new client and enter the prior year accumulated depreciation. For some reason after I save the return and then open it later, most of the prior year accumulated depreciation information has disappeared.

I thought I could see a common trend but it looks like it keeps the p.y. accumulated depreciation for assets placed in service in 2006 and then sporadically it seems to keep a few more assets placed in service in various years. So it seems to be hit and miss- no common trend. However, I lose the p.y. accumulated depreciation for most of the assets.

Anyone know a fix? I don't seem to be able to count on ATX support.

Thanks.

I just checked one of my new returns this year which had 4 properties with addl assets and all the prior accum depr that I input is there. All of these went on Sche E if that makes any difference. And they were very old properties, except for one new one in 2007. Also, it might have something to do with an update I have not yet downloaded because I haven't done that in a while.

I just checked one of my new returns this year which had 4 properties with addl assets and all the prior accum depr that I input is there. All of these went on Sche E if that makes any difference. And they were very old properties, except for one new one in 2007. Also, it might have something to do with an update I have not yet downloaded because I haven't done that in a while.

I updated a few days ago. I have had this problem for a while, even during the heat of the tax season. It is aggravating to have to constantly input all the p.y. accumulated depreciation each time someone needs a copy of the tax return.