ATX Community

Amending Single & HOH returns for Married Couple

BulldogTom

New clients come to me with IRS problem. Being audited and IRS is disallowing EIC, CTC, etc. Wants me to represent because they are their children (named on the birth certificate) and they lived with them all year. Pretty simple, until I look at the letter and the return and her name is not on them.

He filed single. She filed HOH. They say tax preparer told them to do it that way (Jackson Hewitt). They also say they told preparer they got married in 2006. Not sure if I believe them or not, but that is beside the point.

Do I amend the same way as I would if they were MFS and wanted to go MFJ? Just combine all the numbers on the two separate returns and put in column A on the 1040X? Then put copies of the two tax returns with the 1040X and hope the service does not hose them both? I already have the verbage for the explanation ready to go, so that part is not troubling me.

I am pretty sure that is the way, just looking for confirmation.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Lodi, CA

>>Just combine all the numbers on the two separate returns and put in column A on the 1040X?<<

I prefer to select one of the clients as the primary, and put only those numbers in Column A. Then add the second return in Column B. Make all the other changes (filing status, dependents, spouse, etc.) as if amending from the way the first return was filed.

Your software should do this for you. Start with one of the returns and lock it into Column A. Then add the spouse's W-2 and everything else, and the 1040X should be generated automatically.

>>Just combine all the numbers on the two separate returns and put in column A on the 1040X?<<

I prefer to select one of the clients as the primary, and put only those numbers in Column A. Then add the second return in Column B. Make all the other changes (filing status, dependents, spouse, etc.) as if amending from the way the first return was filed.

Your software should do this for you. Start with one of the returns and lock it into Column A. Then add the spouse's W-2 and everything else, and the 1040X should be generated automatically.

If I do it that way, how will they know that I have combined 2 returns?

I know you know what you are doing, so please be patient while I ask what may seem elementary questions.

Thanks

Tom

I agree with Jainen, I always start with one person's return, enter it if I did not do the original, just as it was done, then save, then select 'Amend return' from the Return Menu. and it will create a new return with all the original data in the Col A, and you are ready to add the second person's data. That is then explained on Page 2.