ATX Community

Farmer question

NECPA in NEBRASKA

Does a payment mailed on 3/1/23 certified return receipt qualify for qualified farmers that do not make estimates? The return was accepted on 2/28/23. It took until November for the IRS to post my POA that was faxed in March. I talked to a PPS rep for a long time yesterday and she would not budge. She said the ACK date was 3/2, when it was clearly 2/28. She did agree that was correct and said that 3/1 was too late to mail the payment. I already mailed them a copy of the receipt, but it apparently has not been opened, because he never received a reply. If I am wrong, I will quit fighting them and have him pay it.

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

Does a payment mailed on 3/1/23 certified return receipt qualify for qualified farmers that do not make estimates?

Yes, the return must be filed and payment made by March 1.  They are multiple IRS sources to confirm.

I talked to a PPS rep for a long time yesterday and she would not budge. She said the ACK date was 3/2, when it was clearly 2/28. She did agree that was correct and said that 3/1 was too late to mail the payment.

In those cases, I politely terminate the call.  Then call back and talk to someone else with more knowledge.

It took until November for the IRS to post my POA that was faxed in March. I

When I make the initial call, I have a copy of the POA ready to fax the rep on a separate phone line.

• Like 2