ATX Community

TIGTA Audit of IRS

Lee B

"In some of our reports, we called IRS customer service numbers and made tax payments. These techniques help us understand the experience you have interacting with the IRS ─ and opportunities to improve it.

Here’s a snapshot of what we've found.

We called 102 IRS customer service telephone numbers during this year’s tax filing season. We found that 21 of the lines placed us on hold for more than 30 minutes before we ended the call. 

We made tax payments with cash at retail stores that partner with the IRS. We described the process as convenient (especially for taxpayers without bank accounts) and determined our payments were applied timely and accurately to our tax accounts.

We created 5 fictitious organizations and applied for tax-exempt status using a simplified application form (Form 1023-EZ) to test its effectiveness. The IRS approved 4 of our applications ─ and included them on a list of organizations that can receive tax deductible."

The approval of 4 fictitious non profits is troubling.🤨

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lee B said:

We created 5 fictitious organizations and applied for tax-exempt status using a simplified application form (Form 1023-EZ) to test its effectiveness. The IRS approved 4 of our applications ─ and included them on a list of organizations that can receive tax deductible."

The approval of 4 fictitious non profits is troubling.🤨

I think you are reading that incorrectly @Lee B.  I think they were testing to see if the system worked properly for taxpayers filing for Tax Exempt status and they got an 80% success rate.   I don't think they were trying to see if the IRS would catch 5 obviously bogus claims.   If that was the case and 80% of the bogus claims for tax exempt status were being approved I would whole-heartedly agree with you.

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 1