ATX Community

Monday 1/29/24 is the day

Lee B

WASHINGTON —The Internal Revenue Service today announced Monday, Jan. 29, 2024, as the official start date of the nation’s 2024 tax season when the agency will begin accepting and processing 2023 tax returns."

I am a bit surprised it's this late.

To me, it makes sense to not start until the first working day of Feb.  Why?  Because they, stated or not (I cannot remember) are checking against W2 data, which is not required to be submitted until the end of Jan.  NMore time for reliability and common sense accuracy of their efile process cannot be a bad thing at all.

IIRC, 1099 filing is not yet available either, so that is another barrier to personal filing (and will be more of a barrier next year).

I have faint memory of there being some traction towards altering some credits too, so the advice in the article was to consider waiting to file personal (and maybe some business?).  For me, I file on the deadline, for reasons of time, and just in case something changes.

But, I also manage my deposits to I am at or neat the max owed without getting into penalty, so I have no fake incentive for filing early (using withholding as a sort of Christmas Club / forced savings). I even tried, and failed, to share with others how to manage withholding to be less to compensate for the 2023 EV credit rather than loaning the PTB the over withheld amounts. It is just a concept few understand.

• Like 1