ATX Community

1099-R Taxable amount

99mtamchamp

I have a client who received a 1099-R for an IRA distribution. I entered the amounts correctly in the ATX software (Gross amount from box 1 and taxable amount from box 2a. However, when I look at the form 1040 line 15a the gross amount is correct but the amount on 15b is blank. So of course I get a letter from the IRS saying this amount is missing. I reviewed my input in the software and it all looks correct (nothing different than I normally do). Is there something I could have marked or not marked? Any ideas? Anyone think it would do any could to actually try and call ATX?

Thanks

Rick

I have a client who received a 1099-R for an IRA distribution. I entered the amounts correctly in the ATX software (Gross amount from box 1 and taxable amount from box 2a. However, when I look at the form 1040 line 15a the gross amount is correct but the amount on 15b is blank. So of course I get a letter from the IRS saying this amount is missing. I reviewed my input in the software and it all looks correct (nothing different than I normally do). Is there something I could have marked or not marked? Any ideas? Anyone think it would do any could to actually try and call ATX?

Thanks

Rick

I agree, look at the top of your input screen for the 1099R, make sure you didn't mark it as a RailRoad Tier I pension... if you did, then it won't calculate unless you do the pension worksheet.

Also check your codes in box 7... did you accidentally put in the code for a rollover? ATX won't

tax a rollover..

If you can't see anything.... you might try deleting that 1099R and input it again. Sometimes a fresh

start is all you need.

Be sure to let us know what happens.

P.S.

I don't see any odd codes. . .no RR retirement, I used code 7 which it was. I looked on the 1099-R "Summary Total" sheet. Somehow on the "Remaining Taxabel Amount" line the amount of the gross distribution is there. So this is subtracted from the the taxable amount, resulting in the Total taxable amount to be $0. I have no idea how that amount got on that line. Seems like a glitch, but this return had 4 other 1099-R's and they all worked fine. Any other ideas?