ATX Community

1009Qs and Education credits questions

artp

Client has 2 children in college with 3 1099-Qs. Daughter's 1099-Q under her SSN has $19,149 in box 1 distribution code 1 Coverdell ESA with zero balance left in the account. Qualified education expenses $28,650 scholarship$16,239. So hers seems straight forward max AOC and nothing to be reported from the 1099-Q. 

The son has 1099-Q in his SSN also Coverdell ESA box 1 $12,624, box 2 7024 box 3 $5600. Father has 1099-Q under his SSN Box 1 $9892, box 2 $3192, box 3 $6700 also Coverdell ESA. Qualified education expenses $12,056 scholarship 8190. I think that son has $3866 of qualifying expenses for AOC.

Based on the above I think we have earnings that have to be reported and 10% penalty apply. 

Question: How to calculate the amount of income to include? Can this all be reported on the parent's return or separate reporting for Dad and for son? From what I have read in Pub 970 you have to reduce the qualified education expenses for scholarship and the amount used to calculate AOC to get to AQEE, right? Would appreciate input on this. Thanks