ATX Community

IRS Letters

mcb39

I have clients who are getting letters from the IRS regarding (so far) returns for 2021 and 2022 asking for taxes due.  However, they show absolutely no reason for the changes.  There is not even any indication as to which part of the returns was deemed to be incorrect.  Anyone?

Sure does make us preparers look like total idiots!

My state does this also. Only solution I've come up with is to call the tax authority. The problem is both are past the Check Box authorization so you have to file authorization. No clue why anyone in management thought it was a reasonable process.

• Like 1

These are supposedly the restarted automated collection letters that have been suspended for several years.

The IRS says that these taxpayers should have received an initial balance due letter with an explanation?

Perhaps you could ask your client to request a transcript?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lee B said:

These are supposedly the restarted automated collection letters that have been suspended for several years.

The IRS says that these taxpayers should have received an initial balance due letter with an explanation?

Perhaps you could ask your client to request a transcript?

No prior letter was received by either of these clients.  I totally believe them.