ATX Community

More/improved computer security

As part of swapping to a different main computer, I looked again at securing my computer in case it is not there (for any reason) when I need it next.

The short: Ditch using sleep, and change to hibernate or power off only AND implement a bitlocker drive PIN. A bit more trouble than relying only on the Windows login (and normal bitlocker), but WAY more secure.

What?

The bitlocker PIN is the most secure consumer friendly option we have. It has worthwhile and very good brute force protection. You will need a Pro or Enterprise edition of Windows.

Hibernate gives some speed improvement to restart (over power on), while sleep given no security protection other than your Windows login (if you are using one).

There are some other things to look into, hardware dependent (such as blocking port access while not past security).

It may even be this setting (bitlocker with pin) would better meet (or be hard to defend not using, for those who have to have) a data security plan.

---

For me, I still need a device on 24/7, at least in sleep mode (which allows an app to keep running), but that will be changing soon. So for now, I have my always on computer only having limited information, so no real harm if it disappears, and my main is either in use, in hibernate, or off. Indeed, another login screen can be annoying, but I set mine up so I can one hand the entry fairly fast, with a reasonably obscure non dictionary "pin", so it takes only a few seconds. Even the time to de hibernate is not bad once I got used to it, I can always use a few seconds to declutter my desk.

• Like 2