ATX Community

How to find client's EIN?

In 2021 client, a SMLLC, obtained an EIN online and emailed the number to me.  I used it to submit 1099 forms in 2021, 2022, 2023.  Client is now working to obtain a state license for this expanded business and the state cannot verify the number.  Nor can IRS via a phone call.  Client did not print out or save the confirmation information on screen so it is possible that the numbers are not correct. 

I've tried a few different options online to find this but, due to privacy concerns, have failed.  If IRS cannot confirm, suggestions?

Thanks, I will forward this to her.  However she told me that she called IRS (don't know what number) and was told that they could not verify her to tell her the EIN.  Did she print out the webpage?  Receive a confirmation letter?  I've asked.  Her problem.  Record keeping is not her strength.

• Like 1

Florida's Sunshine laws make it easy for us (and crooks), company EIN's are public record.  Convenient when I need a daycare tax i.d. number, but I don't what to say when the IRS says we are supposed to protect our EIN's.

• Sad 1

Ask the IRS to search for your EIN by calling the Business & Specialty Tax Line at 800-829-4933. The hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. An assistor will ask you for identifying information and provide the number to you over the telephone, as long as you are a person who is  authorized to receive it. Examples of an authorized person include, but are not limited to, a sole proprietor, a partner in a partnership, a corporate officer, a trustee of a trust, or an executor of an estate.

If that number can't give her the EIN, I'd call the PPL and ask their opinion of what you should do. If an EIN was issued, they have a record of it.

• Like 3

It could be that the number is correct, but it is not passing the eVerify because of a small anomaly in the formatting of the name. Some variations don’t matter, but others won’t pass the “Name Control” requirements. 

For example, C.J. Smith Company becomes CJ Smith Company because it looks better on the letterhead. (or Smith and Jones Company becomes Smith & Jones Company over time).  

The possibilities for a problem with the Name Control are numerous. Some don’t matter while other seemingly innocuous ones will produce a reject.  

• Like 4