ATX Community

PO Mangled payment

Client received letter from USPS that his payment envelope was mangled by machine.  Check was returned to him. No date on letter, and original envelope not returned. 

He doesn't like electronic payment, so please skip the lectures about that.

Any other ideas than to mail check back along with letter from PO and a note asking to abate penalties?

I would send everything the PO sent back, along with whatever letter or form.  Make copies first, just in case it happens again. I would also try to get the person to at least mail with some sort of tracking. It can be done at home (printing a priority mail "label" and stuck on a 9x12), or if extra cheap, they can order free priority envelopes from USPS.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kathyc2 said:

Client received letter from USPS that his payment envelope was mangled by machine.  Check was returned to him. No date on letter, and original envelope not returned. 

He doesn't like electronic payment, so please skip the lectures about that.

Any other ideas than to mail check back along with letter from PO and a note asking to abate penalties?

Three magic words: "First Time Abatement".   

But consider if you want to use that up on this one.    I would probably go with reasonable cause first.   Take a POA, write the letter and put all the mangled docs in and ask pretty please to abate for reasonable cause.   If they reject, then speak the three magic words and it will go away (providing you have not spoken the 3 magic words before).

Tom
Longview, TX

• Like 1