ATX Community

The "Blue Screen of Death"!!

taxtrio

I loaded ATX from the CD on my Dell, Windows XP Machine. (4 gig of ram, 250 gig hard drive). Lots of room in

hard drive left. After loading it on Black Friday, I kept having the "blue screen of death" as my techie friends call it

keep coming up. It says to save damage to computer it is doing a physical memory dump and a shut down.

HMMMM.... It also said when I ran through the troubleshooting that it may be an imcompatible driver that was recently installed with new software or hardware.... HMMMMM.

It suggested I uninstall and reinstall whatever it was...

So I uninstalled ATX and now no blue screen of death.....

Anybody elses had this problem???

Taxtrio

It has been my experience that the "blue screen of death" is ususally hardware related. The most common thing is bad RAM, or a dirty RAM connection. Here is my recommendation:

1) Remove and reinstall the current RAM chip(s). The amount of corrosion that can cause a problem is very minute, and microscopic. Removing and re-installing will break any microscopic corrosion and may fix the problem.

2) Do the same with any other boards plugged into the motherboard for exactly the same reason.

If that does not solve the problem, remove the RAM chip(s) and have them tested by a reliable computer technician.

I have never experienced a blue screen of death that was not hardware related. If the RAM tests good, then a complete hardware diagnosis is in order.

I have seen many blue screens of death in my years of computer usage, most in a 'support' possition and they are one of the things that really can drive you nuts. There have been some that I was never able to solve and ended up just replacing the hardware.

Memory issues abound with the creation of them yes. But the fact that the installation started the problem and the uninstallation resolved it, I would look more towards issues regarding software. The "driver" message is more generic and not much of a use with trying to find the answer.

Personally, I would look at the CD and see if there is dirt/scratches. Try downloading the web install and going from there rather than the CD as that will tell you if there is a file that is not reading correctly off the cd. If the problems come back after a web install then you have some software installed on teh machine that is incompatible with the software and you may need to reinstall the other software AFTER installing ATX (to put back the DLL's that came with the other software). One of the biggest headaches with windows is getting the right combination of versions of shared files loaded at the same time. Some earlier files can't work with the newer ones, others can't have the old ones, etc. Don't forget that Microsoft just released a PILE of updates to XP this weekend that most machines are auto-installing that might change the mix.

I've loaded the CD on 2 XP machines and got a blue screen on the computer that has been updated to XP SP3. Uninstalled and rolled back to SP2 and it installed and ran.

Thanks!! I always love to learn new things.

I'll try reinstalling from the web instead of the CD.

I have all new Ram chips as of September, and everything else was fine until I loaded ATX.

I'll post back in a couple of days with an update.

Thanks again!

Taxtrio

• 2 weeks later...

TaxTrio - Just checking up on you.

I know you've been talking with Guy and he's informed me of what he has been working on with you. If you should need any other assistance, just let me know. I am here.

So far so good! After working with me for a couple of hours he got rid of the SQL Server error that I kept getting,

and is researching some other error messages related to the blue screen of death.

So far .. no more blue screen of death!

Thanks

VMS has been a great help. ATX said "not our problem". even though the problem came up after I installed

ATX 2008 from the CD.

Taxtrio

TaxTrio - I'll pass that info along to Guy about you not getting the "Blue Screen of Death" anymore, but I'll keep him researching anyway :read: . I actually spoke with him yesterday afternoon about you to find out how the 2 of you made out and make sure that you had been taken care of. I didn't want to just forget about you, like other companies do. Once you become my customer, you will always be under my wing and if you should need anything extra do not hesitate to email/call me with a heads up of what you want. I'll help you out any way I can.

I do want to apologize to you for being bounced around and told "it's not our problem." I understand I could not have prevented it, but I want you to know we will never do that to you, or anyone for that matter. Let it be known, no one will ever hear those words from Virtual Managed Solutions.

We want to be your one-stop company for all and everything computer related.

Just a side note for everyone -

If anyone should get the "Blue Screen of Death" after installing the new 2008 program - Let me know. We are willing to investigate further and find out if this was a once in a blue moon type of thing, or if this is a commonality with the new program. Has anyone else experienced anything of this nature after they installed?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

TaxTrio - I'll pass that info along to Guy about you not getting the "Blue Screen of Death" anymore, but I'll keep him researching anyway :read: . I actually spoke with him yesterday afternoon about you to find out how the 2 of you made out and make sure that you had been taken care of. I didn't want to just forget about you, like other companies do. Once you become my customer, you will always be under my wing and if you should need anything extra do not hesitate to email/call me with a heads up of what you want. I'll help you out any way I can.

I do want to apologize to you for being bounced around and told "it's not our problem." I understand I could not have prevented it, but I want you to know we will never do that to you, or anyone for that matter. Let it be known, no one will ever hear those words from Virtual Managed Solutions.

We want to be your one-stop company for all and everything computer related.

Well thank you, and I want to add, it wasn't VMS that told me "it's not our problem" that was the ATX support people. They told me to contact Microsoft about the "blue screen

of death".

Everyone at VMS was very helpful. And I'm glad you're with us here in the community. Look forward to your postings.

Taxtrio

• 2 weeks later...

Well thank you, and I want to add, it wasn't VMS that told me "it's not our problem" that was the ATX support people. They told me to contact Microsoft about the "blue screen

of death".

Everyone at VMS was very helpful. And I'm glad you're with us here in the community. Look forward to your postings.

Taxtrio

Well, I spoke too soon.... blue screen of death is back!

Taxtrio