ATX Community

Why Hasn't ATX Instituted Automatic Updates?

Chowdahead

There are already some peeves I am developing for 2008. My first is the fact that ATX still has not instituted an "Automatic Update" feature, sort of like "Windows Update". How hard is it for them to have their server send the software a notice that an update is available?

This might not seem like a big deal. But during peak hours it can get hectic, with the seat in front of my desk not evening getting cool before the next customer settles into it. The most horrendous problem is that if you create any returns under the "older" version, you cannot transmit them, and must recreate all the e-files. This isn't as easy as it sounds, because I have found that some forms refuse to update within those returns, so you have to delete the form (and all the important data in it), and add it again to see the newer version.

I remember last year. I updated in the morning and did about 9 returns by mid afternoon. When I tried to transmit, I got the dreaded "old program version". It took me nearly an hour to clean up the stubborn forms that wouldn't update to a newer version of themselves that also happened to be released.

Is it so hard to at least give us the option to auto update if we choose? It's hard to remember to hit that update button during busy times.