ATX Community

S corp SIMPLE plan

imjulier

Hi, Julie. I don't think I understand your question. Employees can defer 100% of salary up to the annual limit. Employer matches either the employee's salary reduction contributions or 3 percent of the employee's compensation for the calendar year, whichever is less. There are some cases where employers can match at less than 3%, but I don't think that is what you're asking. Since you posted this morning and have no responses, I'm wondering if I'm not the only one who isn't quite sure what you're asking.

Let me clarify. With a SEP, you are limited to contributing 25% of your wages. So, if you pay the shareholder $40,000, they can only contribute $10,000. I was wondering if there is any similar limitation with a SIMPLE. I believe jasdlm answered my question by stating that up to 100% of salary can be deferred, up to the annual limit. Thanks jasdlm for your response.

Julie

Let me clarify. With a SEP, you are limited to contributing 25% of your wages. So, if you pay the shareholder $40,000, they can only contribute $10,000. I was wondering if there is any similar limitation with a SIMPLE. I believe jasdlm answered my question by stating that up to 100% of salary can be deferred, up to the annual limit. Thanks jasdlm for your response.

Julie

SEP limits are percentages. SIMPLE limits are dollar amounts. S Corp shareholder/employees W-2 compensation applies. So, yes, if the W-2 compensation is $10,000, they can contribute the $10,000 to a SIMPLE. Wages are still subject to FICA tax and local income tax (most localities). So (in this case), the shareholder/employee might have to put in money to cover the withholding taxes.